Come sail away with Prog-Watch this week, where every song will have the root word “sail” in the title! Aside from Styx (who provide the theme song, of course) we will also be hearing from Ayreon, Mystery, Carmen, Golden Earring, Manning, Elton John, Jon & Vangelis, The Strawbs, Gryphon, Radio Head, Moon Safari, Robert Palmer, John Hackett & Nick Fletcher, and Mike Oldfield! You’ll almost be able to smell the salt water, and feel the wind on your face and the rocking of the waves! Well…almost…
724: Come Sail Away
This week’s Prog-Watch features a lot of great, modern Prog Rock from Jan Akkerman, Karfagen, Low Roar, Rodney Matthews and Jeff Scheetz with Oliver Wakeman, Nick Magnus, and Frequent Flyers, and a “proggy”classic from Elton John! Plus, The Doctor, Rob Fisher, will be examining the debut album by the UK group Chasing the Monsoon!
709: Variety + Chasing the Monsoon Project on Progressive Discoveries
The Progressive Tracks Show #237 (The Unvarnished Thanksgiving), originally broadcast on Friday, November 24, 2017, is now available to download or listen to anytime you desire.
verb disguise or gloss over (a fact).
This week we Americans celebrate Thanksgiving, a truly wonderful holiday spent with family and friends. But how today’s Americans view the underpinnings of this day (the relationship between European-American settlers and Native Americans) has been highly ‘varnished’ over time.
This week’s Progressive Tracks Show pays musical tribute to the Native Americans, while examining the reality of their plight.
- The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra – “The Theme From The Big Valley” from 100 Greatest Western Themes on Silva Screen Records
- The Fierce and The Dead – “Chief” from Spooky Action on Bad Elephant Music
- Barclay James Harvest – “Medicine Man” from Baby James Harvest (Bonus Tracks Edition) on Cherry Red Records
- Kevin Gilbert – “Indian Burn” from Kaviar: The Kaviar Sessions on The Estate of Kevin Gilbert
- Kansas – “Cheyenne Anthem” from Leftoverture on CBS
- John Arch – “Cheyenne” from Twist of Fate EP on Metal Blade Records
- Solstice – “Cheyenne” from Silent Dance – The Definitive Edition on Cherry Red Records
- Elton John – “Indian Sunset” from Madmen Across The Water on UNI
- Iluvatar – “Indian Rain” from A Story Two Days Wide on Kinesis
- Zombi – “Spirit Warrior” from Spirit Animal on Relapse Records
- Primus – “Wounded Knee” from Pork Soda on Interscope Records
If you have comments (always welcome), or suggestions for show topics/music, feel free to contact me anytime via email: ProgTracks@KPTZ.org
But first… enjoy the show!
Mike “ProgTracks” Pollack
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Android |