This week’s Prog-Watch is a themed special, and the theme is “Shhhh”! Every song relates to silence or quiet. We’ll hear music from great classic and contemporary artists including Mike + The Mechanics, Unitopia, Chris Squire, Paul Draper, Spock’s Beard, The Flower Kings, Sanguine Hum, Queensryche, Dave Kerzner, RPWL, The Barock Project, and Genesis! Come along for a fun ride!
The Progressive Tracks Show #221 (#116 REDUX – A Tribute To Chris Squire), originally recorded at KPTZ 91.9 FM on Wednesday, July 1, 2015, is now available to download or listen to any time you desire.
Life has gotten in the way of The Progressive Tracks Show this week, and so I find myself having to (wanting to) play an older (pre-Progzilla Radio) show. What to pick… what to pick…
Having just marked the second anniversary of Chris Squire’s death, as well as his recent posthumous induction with Yes into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame… this pick was a no-brainer, really: Loads of the ‘Fish’ packed into a mere 90 minutes (60 of the original KPTZ show, plus 30 bonus minutes).
There will never be another… Chris Squire. R.I.P.
NOTE: I recorded this just a few days after Chris’ death, so excuse the occasional cracking of my voice (I still get a bit teary listening to some of this music).
- The Syn – “14 Hour Technicolour Dream” from The Roots Of Yes 1964-68 on Purple Pyramid Records
- Mabel Greer’s Toyshop – “Beyond and Before (Demo)” from The Roots Of Yes 1964-68 on Purple Pyramid Records
- Chris Squire – “Silently Falling” from Fish out of Water on Rhino Atlantic
- Rick Wakeman – “Catherine of Aragon (2009)” composed by Rick Wakeman from The Six Wives of Henry VIII on UMC (Universal Music Catalogue)
- Yes – “On the Silent Wings of Freedom” from Tormato (Deluxe Edition) on Rhino Atlantic
- Yes – “Tempus Fugit” from Drama (Deluxe Edition) on Rhino/Elektra
- Yes – “Can You Imagine” from Magnification on Eagle Records
- Squackett – “Tall Ships” from A Life Within a Day on Esoteric Recordings
- Mabel Greer’s Toyshop – “Beyond and Before” from New Way of Life on Mabel Greer’s Toyshop
- Yes – “Starship Trooper” from The Yes Album on Rhino/Elektra
- Yes – “Awaken” from Going For The One on Rhino/Elektra
- Yes – “Long Distance Runaround” from Live At Montreaux 2003 on Eagle Rock Records
- Yes – “The Fish” from Live At Montreaux 2003 on Eagle Rock Records
If you have comments (always welcome), or suggestions for show topics/music, feel free to contact me anytime via email: ProgTracks@KPTZ.org
But first… enjoy the show!
Mike “ProgTracks” Pollack
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Android |
If you missed this week’s Prog-Watch, you can listen to it HERE
This week our special guest was none other than Nikki Squire of the band Esquire! In her first interview in a number of years, the former Mrs. Chris Squire spoke candidly about what she learned about music from Chris, the early years of her own band, Esquire, and her writing partnership with Nigel McLaren, through to the loss of her former husband and Nigel both in a short period of time last year. Along the way we heard music from the first two Esquire albums, and their brand new release No Spare Planet, which is a return to form and fitting tribute to the late Nigel McLaren.